Saturday, November 24, 2007

Stocking

Last night Ross successfully put Wyatt down for a nap in his crib, giving us a couple hours of normal adult time. I used the time to finish making Wyatt's Christmas stocking that I started last month. I've been sneaking in 5-10 minutes here and there when Wyatt lets me and used last night's break to power through to the end. His theme is reindeer, which I thought could be fun for a kid (Rudolph and his posse) and adult (hunting/outdoors).

I made stockings for Ross (moose theme) and I in 2000 when Christi lived with us in Tacoma and my parents flew up for the holiday. I had five stockings to make that year but it seemed harder to find the time to finish just one this time around. Funny how kids make the day fly by.

We had a rocky night last night with Wyatt sleeping in the crib next to our bed instead of between us. All-in-all I'd say it was a success but his fussing had me up every 20-30 minutes patting his bottom and returning his pacifier so he could drift off to sleep before the wailing began. Luckily Ross let Wyatt and I take a three hour nap on the couch this morning while he headed off to Eastern Washington to pick up a truck load of firewood. It hardly seems fair- a nap for mom and manual labor for dad. What can I say- he's always been good to me.

Wyatt is really beginning to experiment with his voice lately and boy is it LOUD!! He practices making all kinds of noises that we have playfully put into the following categories- 1) goat; 2) pig; 3) monkey, and my favorite; 4) porpoise.

Remember that scene in the movie "Splash" when they ask the mermaid what her name is and her high pitched squeal breaks all the televisions? That's exactly the noise he makes when he's calling for me or not getting what he wants. I think the days for my ear drums are numbered. I've seriously considered putting on Ross' shooting range headphones for hearing protection...

No comments: