Sunday, August 7, 2011

A Pirate Birthday Party

Wyatt has been obsessed with pirates these days thanks to the "Jake and the Neverland Pirates" cartoon that features three kid pirates that outsmart Captain Hook each episode so we decided to throw Wyatt a pirate themed birthday party.

I had asked Wyatt multiple times over the last month who he'd like to invite to his birthday party, specifically, which kids from the Sno-Valley Moms Group, and every time he would have the same response- "No kids, just my cousins." After about my third time asking I figured I would just plan a party like he wanted and we did a family-only party with Aunt Julie, cousins, Uncle Nick, Grandma Nancy and honorary Uncle Wood.

The night before the party, I made a pirate ship birthday cake with the help of a friend that owned her very own frosting kit. I found directions online and showed up at Lauren's house with 2 chocolate sheet cakes and all the fixing to turn them into a pirate ship. We spent 2.5 hours cutting, forming, frosting and decorating and in the end the ship turned out better than I had ever hoped. I added the finishing touches the next morning with sand (graham cracker crumbs) and mini pirates and the cake looked fantastic!






The morning of the party, Ross and I decorated the living room and dining room with a 50-foot pirate banner with Jolly Roger flags and a pirate "Happy Birthday" sign. Wyatt loved it and said it looked just like a pirate ship.

I gave Wyatt and Sam each a pirate hat and pirate tattoo to wear, and Wyatt had a special #4 pirate birthday shirt to wear. Here he is saying "Aargh!"



The cousins showed up dressed for a pirate party and had pirate hats, costumes and swords. Wyatt was absolutely thrilled and I love that pre-teen and early teenagers would put their "coolness" aside for the day to make their little cousin's birthday one to remember.


Wyatt loved the pirate ship birthday cake and loved his real pirate ship present even more. He gasped and squealed when he saw it and didn't take his hands off of it for the next 2 hours- even when grandma unveiled a fish tank and 3 guppies. That gift he noticed sometime later and of course loved as well.





It was one of my favorite days with Wyatt, ever. :)



No comments: