Friday, August 17, 2007

Early Arrival

The Baby has arrived!!! In fact, he arrived a week ago on Aug. 10 and we have been so wrapped up with him that I haven't had time to update family and friends until now.

The Baby (who we still haven't named) surprised us last Friday when he arrived via c-section at 1:55 pm. Ross and I had taken a tour of the hospital the night before and during the night, my water began to leak. We called the doctor Friday morning and she told us to come down to her office right away from an exam.

During the exam she confirmed that my water indeed had broken and that I would be delivering a baby that day. When she conducted an ultrasound to confirm the baby's position, however, we learned that the baby was breech and was going to attempt to make his escape bottom first. Upon learning this, my doctor suggested I have a c-section and said to get ready to meet the little guy within the next two hours.

We were filled with emotion- excited to finally meet the little one and concerned about his well being and the surgery ahead. We headed to the hospital and within 90 minutes found ourselves in the operating room. The surgeon and my doctor performed the surgery and within 30 minutes had the little guy in Ross' arms. It was such an amazing feeling to finally get to see and touch him after all of this time and what a beauty he is!!

He was born at 1:55 pm and was six pounds, six ounces and 18.5 inches long. He has brown hair and blue eyes (which all newborns have) and we are still trying to figure out who he takes after.

We stayed in the hospital for two nights before I got to check out a day ahead of schedule and bring him home. Ross' mom and brother stayed with us that first night and were such a help cleaning and cooking while Ross and I tried to figure out this thing called parenthood.

My folks arrived on Monday and are still staying with us. Aside from a few sleepless nights we couldn't be doing any better. The baby has had three check-ups at the doctor's this week (including a circumcision on Wednesday) and is healthy as can be. Since he was born early he is only in the 10% percentile for weight and 25% percentile for height and is such a tiny boy.

He has a great temperment and only cries when he needs to eat or has a messy diaper, otherwise he just coos and smiles. What a blessing he is.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Misty, he is gorgeous. My grandson was born a year ago on the 10th of August. His name is Zachary Ryan Drew. I'm so glad you, Ross and the baby are doing OK and very glad you have kept up this blog. I really miss you! I am now working in the business office doing the student payroll. After 18 years in Media Relations, the younger people there and I just couldn't keep it going.

Bless you all and can't wait to hear what you name that gorgeous son of yours.

alisa said...

Congrats Misty! He is beautiful and I am so glad that you and he are doing well. Let me know if you need anything!

Anonymous said...

Congrats Misty and Ross on your little darling- take care of yourselves and enjoy every moment you can!