Monday, April 16, 2007

The Ever Expanding Belly



Okay, you've all been asking for a photo of my belly so I'm going to be brave and post a photo taken at 19 weeks and then today (22 weeks). Please excuse my spandex outfit- no this is not what I came home from the maternity store with- it is my workout outfit. My sister says that a person my age should NEVER be in lycra but cut me some slack. It's comfortable, my neighbors only see me in it if they get a sneak peek on garbage day and imagine how big my belly might be by now if I wasn't doing these morning workouts.

Ross and I had our monthly OB visit this morning and everything was normal. It had actually been five weeks since my last appointment because my doc had been on vacation and I was dreading getting weighed since I knew this ever expanding belly was not just full of air and was actually going to weight something. The question was how much?!

When I got to the digital scale, it flashed 350 lbs which is either the maximum weight it can register or it's there to make us prego ladies feel better about ourselves. I have to confess it took me a few weigh-ins before I realized this was not the weight of her last patient (I began to think she was running a gastric bypass clinic on the side or something).

So there I was at the scale and I asked Ross to hold my purse because God knows that would be what, a half a pound?! I then took off my coat and shoes and looked at the nurse and asked "What else can I take off?" She said "Honey, you're pregnant. You can get naked if you want." Well considering the scale was in the main hallway I decided to keep the rest of my clothes on and stepped onto the scale.... 164!!

When the doctor came into the room I asked her how much weight I'd gained total and she said eight pounds in 22 weeks. Not bad I thought. Then I asked how much I had gained from my last appointment and she gave me a coy smile and said "most of it." And I said "What does 'most of it' mean?" Turns out "most of it" means six pounds in five weeks. Woo-wee that sounds like a lot. Maybe the baby is already five or six pounds and they have miscalculated my due date by about three months... okay, maybe not.

When the doctor stepped out for a moment I grabbed the paper measuring tape left on the counter and told Ross "Lets measure my belly. As long as it fits in this thing I think I'm doing okay." Well I unraveled the tape measured and began to put it around my belly and it went only 2/3 of the way around. We both burst out laughing. It turns out the measuring tape is there to measure the length of the uterus, not the girth of mommy bellies. After two loops around we determined my belly is 37 inches! Okay, that makes me officially bigger than my husband with four months to go! The human body is certainly an amazing thing...

Pregnancy Stats:
There are 126 days until my due date on August 21, 2007.
I am 154 days pregnant.
I am 5 months pregnant.

No comments: