Tuesday, May 19, 2009

The Hungry Caterpillar

Wyatt's favorite book is "The Hungry Caterpillar" (he's seen here with the toy that goes with the book) so when I found one in our front yard yesterday I couldn't wait to show him. I called Wyatt over to me and held the caterpillar in my hand and began to recite the book (yes, I know every word by heart) so he would make the connection. I took his hand and traced it across the caterpillar's spiked hair a couple of times, which elicited hysterical laughter from Wyatt each time. I asked him if he wanted to hold the caterpillar and he quickly walked away from us (I guess that would be a no then?).

I placed the caterpillar on a wooden board and Wyatt came back over and sat down next to it. He then proceeded to start having a conversation with the caterpillar and while I couldn't make out most of the conversation it was clear from Wyatt's gestures that he was showing his new friend daddy's blue truck and talking to him about the beauty bark in the back of it that we had spent all morning dumping.

He then, clear as day, offered the caterpillar some ICE CREAM! I was floored. That comes directly from the book where the caterpillar eats junk food, including an ice cream cone, and gets a stomach ache. I guess Wyatt thought this caterpillar was hungry as well. It was such a precious moment. He really is such a thoughtful boy.

He is also getting more independent, which isn't always the beast thing. A couple of nights ago this resulted in him climbing out of his crib SEVEN TIMES between midnight and 3 a.m. He didn't feel tried apparently and saw no reason to stay in bed. When he FINALLY fell back asleep due to complete exhaustion guess who woke up and wanted to eat? Oh, there is no rest for mommys.

Wyatt has also been emulating EVERYTHING Ross does, down to scratching his face when dad does and trying to cross his arms the same way. Yesterday Wyatt found Ross' fire gear that he brought home to use this week in a class and Wyatt decided he wanted to wear daddy's boots. I took some cute video of it which does not want to load right now. It shows Wyatt multitasking, wearing daddy's boots while rocking on his rocking horse. You can hear Wyatt in the video make the siren noise a fire truck makes ... very cute!

Sam is becoming more and more sociable and loves to watch his big brother dance, sing, eat, you name it (and Wyatt likes the audience).

Sam is also growing like a weed and is more than two feet tall. This photo puts it into perspective as he reaches my knees.

No comments: