Friday, February 13, 2009

Welcome Samuel Thomas

I got a wet surprise on Tuesday morning when our second son put me on notice that he was arriving a month early, ready or not. Ross hustled home from work and drove me to the hospital and seven hours later Samuel Thomas Tucci was born via planned c-section at 12:36 p.m. Sam weighed in at 6 pounds, 7 ounces and was 19 inches long, beating out big brother Wyatt, who was full term, by one ounce and a half inch.

Per hospital protocol regarding babies born before 37 weeks, Samuel had to be observed in the NICU for the first 6 hours but Ross was able to spend time with him in there and the nursing staff brought him in to visit with me frequently so I could feed him. By 7 p.m. he was released to our room for good.

Sam looks a lot like his brother, has gun metal grey eyes, brown hair and the beginnings of long eyelashes. He doesn't seem to have the dimple chin that his dad and brother share but he does sneeze like Ross in long repetitive stints as I counted a series of 6 sneezes in a row Tuesday. How adorable!!

We had lots of visitors at the hospital, including Ross' brother Nick who flew in from California that day when he heard about his nephew's impending arrival. Nick and Ross' mom were also kind enough to stay at our house and care for Wyatt while we were away and Nick is still visiting with us now.

One of the best parts of Tuesday, besides meeting our little angel of course, was to see Wyatt meet Sam for the first time. Here is some video of that precious moment.



Samuel and I both had check-ups today. I had my staples removed and he had his first well child check, weighing in at a reduced 5 pounds, 15 ounces. All in all, we are doing great.

Ross has been such a help and had to assist with Sam's feedings those first two days as we supplemented formula through a siringe as my milk came in so the little munchkin wouldn't loose too much weight. If we have gotten 12 hours of sleep total in the last three nights we're lucky but we are riding such a high with our two boys that we haven't hit the wall yet.

Sam is a very noisy sleeper with moans and groans much of the night, a symphony that resulted in 2-3 hours of sleep for me last night. After some reassuring from the Doc that he's just making baby noises and nothing is "wrong" I hope to sleep better tonight.

Samuel is a great eater and loves to cuddle and it's been a lot of fun to hold such a tiny baby again. Truth be told, I never really appreciated Wyatt's smallness when I was a first time mom but now that Wyatt is over 20 pounds, 6 pound Sam is such a drastic change.

How blessed we are...

1 comment:

Lewis Family said...

Congrats! Your boys are so cute (yes, you to Tucci). I hope you have a quick recovery and enjoy those precious moments with a new one at home. I may have to come get a quick newborn fix!