Sunday, March 9, 2008

Sleeping Standing Up

Today was warm and sunny so Ross and I took advantage of the nice weather and worked in the yard. We trimmed up some trees in preparation of a new fence we hope to install this week and Ross rented a log splitter to finally cut up about a dozen or so tree rounds that have decorated our driveway since last year. It feels great to get the yard cleaned up. Wyatt cooperated by entertaining himself in his highchair on the front lawn.

Ross and I attended a wedding yesterday for one of his co-workers and it was just the third time we've been away from Wyatt who will turn seven months old tomorrow. We had a nice time and enjoyed seeing a lot of friends we hadn't seen in months. It was also nice to hear the wedding vows and be reminded about our own commitment to each other. It seems like yesterday that we exchanged our vows on the shores of Lake Washington with all of our family and friends in attendance. That, along with Wyatt's birthday, are my two favorite days ever.

The highlight of yesterday's wedding was when the flower girl, who was probably 2 or 3 years old, began to visibly tremble at the sight of the candles lining the pews and shouted "Fire! Fire!" the entire way down the aisle in total fear. I felt so bad for her and wanted to scoop her into my arms but feared I'd terrify her even more and that she might shout "Stranger! Stranger!" and make it even more of a scene.

Wyatt has really begun to master the art of bouncing and loves his bouncy seat. I had him in it a couple of nights ago while I got some things done around the house and when I checked back on him he had completely fallen asleep with his head resting peacefully on his hands, on the tray. It was so adorable but I felt bad that I had missed the cues that he was sleepy and he was forced to sleep standing up.

We are still working on our bathroom renovation and had a guy over to the house twice this week to re-glaze the tub. Wyatt and I were sequestered in our bedroom both days as the house filled with strong fumes from whatever chemicals he was using. We snuggled in bed, crawled around on the floor and played in front of the floor length mirror to pass the time. I also watched The Karate Kid while Wyatt napped in my arms which brought back a lot of memories. Apparently my parents found my lip marks all over their TV after I first watched that movie as I had my first kisses with Johnny the bad boy. Looking at him 25 years later I wonder what I ever saw in him...

Ross' brother Nick is in town and is going to help us with our fence project this week. I feel so bad that we put him to work every time he visits. If he's not installing a new vanity or entry door, we have him chopping and stacking wood. It amazes me that he even comes into town to see us anymore. Thanks Nick! Oh, can you help install our glass shower doors this week too?:)

No comments: